The who, what, when, where, why, and how of your DD214. Look here for common problems and solutions involving the DD214.

Frequently Asked Questions

Common problems and solutions involving your DD214
What is the DD214?

The DD Form 214 is an official document issued by the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines at the time of discharge or separation from military service. The DD214 shows your status as a separated or retired military member and the nature of your service including dates, awards and decorations and other important details.

Who can get a DD214?

In order to use the DD form 214, you must be the service member or the service member's next of kin.

Do I get a DD214 when I am re-enlisted or promoted?

No. The DD214 is not issued for re-enlistments or promotions. You may have received a certificate stating you have been discharged from active duty pending your re-enlistment or promotion, but this is usually a simple formality observed as a protocol as part of the promotion or re-enlistment process.

When do I get my DD214?

The DD214 is usually issued at the final outprocessing appointment prior to retirement or separation.

What if I lose my DD214?

If you lose your DD form 214, you will need to request a replacement copy for your records. The DD214 is your most important post-military document. Treat it the way you would a marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption papers or other important records.

Where can I get a replacement copy of the DD214?

The National Personnel Records Center at the National Archives in St. Louis Missouri handles most requests for replacement DD form 214's. You can request a copy by following the instructions at or by sending the following information to the National Archives:

  • The current date
  • Service Request Number shown on the web site for the request
  • A signed statement or declaration that reads: "I declare, certify, verify, or state under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the information that I provided on the web site eVetRecs related to the service request number listed above is true and correct."
  • State whether you, the requester, are the Veteran or next-of-kin and how you are related to the veteran.
  • Print and sign your name

Mail this document to:

9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

For faster entry into the processing system, fax it to (314) 801-9049. Faxing or sending via FedEx does not speed processing times—it simply gets your request into the system faster.

How long will my replacement DD214 take to reach me?

The National Personnel Records Center usually processes requests within 10 working days of receipt. Many factors may alter that time including work load, current volume of requests, and whether your records are coming from a stateside base or an overseas location in the case of recently retired or separated military members.

There is a mistake on my replacement DD214.
What do I need to do?

To fix errors on a DD form 214, you need to submit a DD215. Contact your nearest VA branch office to learn where to get the form and how to fill it out properly and get the process started. A replacement DD214 is NOT a “new” document—it is simply a copy of the original document. Any errors on the replacement DD form 214 were on the original DD214 and should be corrected as soon as possible.

What if I have an emergency or a tight deadline for my DD214 for school or a VA loan?

A replacement DD214 takes time to process and send. When submitting a request for a replacement DD214, be sure to mention any special circumstances that may require faster processing. The National Archives makes no promises for any particular request but circumstances permitting, your application may be given precedent in some cases where justified.

Is there a fee to get a replacement DD214 from the National Archives?

In most cases, no. If a fee is required, the National Personnel Center will let you know as soon as possible. Most veterans and their families will not have to pay a fee to get a replacement DD214.

Can I get VA benefits without a DD214?

In many cases you are required to have a DD214 to claim benefits post-retirement or separation. The GI Bill and VA home loan products are two examples—you cannot be approved for a VA home loan or the GI Bill without showing proof of service, which is the DD214 in the case of separated or retired service members.