If you've misplaced your DD214, it's important to get a replacement as soon as possible. You can request a free copy of your DD214 simply by visiting the National Archives.

Requesting a New DD214

When do I need it?

Many people misplace the DD214 for one reason or another-the stresses of relocating from an overseas assignment back to civilian life is one common cause, but no matter what the reason, if you've misplaced your DD Form 214, it's important to get a replacement as soon as possible.

Get A Replacement Copy of Your DD214

You can request a FREE copy of your DD Form 214 simply by visiting the official United States Government site https://www.va.gov/records/get-military-service-records and filling out an online form.

If you're up against a tight deadline for paperwork to start the GI Bill, or state-sponsored veteran's education benefit programs such as the Illinois Veteran's Grant or the Minnesota State Veterans' Education Assistance program, you may do better to request a replacement DD214 as soon as you know it's been misplaced.

In cases where the DD Form 214 was accidentally included in a household goods shipment, contact your orderly room or Military Personnel Center at your base first. Explain your situation and see if you can get a faxed or e-mailed copy of your DD214 sent to you. In some cases, you may be able to have the DD214 faxed directly to your nearest VA office, so be sure to do some coordination with a local VA representative first.

If you can't get copies of the DD Form 214 from your last base, you'll need to request a replacement from the National Personnel Record Center in St. Louis. Make your request as quickly as possible and be sure to include any pertinent information about school deadlines in your request to see if it can be expedited on an emergency basis. Such requests are considered case-by-case, and may be determined by workload volumes or other factors. But it never hurts to ask.

Detailed instructions and more information can be found here: www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html

You can mail your request for a replacement DD214 to:
National Personnel Record Center:

NPRC Fax Number:

Mailing Address:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Before sending a request to the NPRC, read the instructions found at the NPRC official site and follow them exactly.